Mike Leach is a man of opinion. He’s also a unique son of a bitch. I mean – this is the same fella who locked dudes in sheds with concussions. It’s surprising he’s a BYU graduate when you hear the amazing shit that falls out of his mouth. He’s a blunt man who never holds back and I love that about him.
I also love him because he referred to Cub fans as “Yuppies all driving BMW’s”. In short Mike Leach HATES Cubs fans. And in my brief moments stumbling around Chicago it’s hard to argue his points. It’s a miserable fan base. Not because of the losing but because of the assholes in general. But you don’t need to take my word for it….
The Best Mike Leach Quotes:
12. “Sometimes a Pirate beats a Soldier.”
– After a victory over Texas A&M
11. “At no level do I see where the Red Raider football team is responsible at all for any tortillas being thrown. We watch over them very carefully, and before they ever go on the field, we ensure that none of them have tortillas.”
– On tortilla throwing Tech fans in 2002
10. ”It’s kind of like doing surgery with a chainsaw instead of a scalpel. We had pieces and parts flying everywhere. It turned out in our favor. We’ve just got to clean it up the next time around.”
– After winning his first game (against the University of New Mexico)
9. “Nevertheless, you get my point. When you get up in the morning you need to take off running and that’s what we’re going to do at Texas Tech, and that’s why I’m excited to be a part of this program, so we can outrun all the antelopes and lions there are in this country and go on from there.”
– Upon joining the Texas Tech program
8. “If you get into a fight, don’t take your helmet off. We’re looking for smart football players, not dumb ones.”
7. “We’re going to treat (the next three games) all dramatically differently, and there will be all kinds of interesting little twists and nuances that we’ll do to each individual one to dignify it for its importance that exists in the overall scheme of the universe. There’ll be dramatic differences, and throughout the course of that deal, I’ll enjoy talking about it in length.”
6. “I know that in Ames, Iowa, they fancy themselves being experts on the wind, but in Lubbock, Texas, we’ll put our wind up against your wind in Iowa. We practice against it all the time.”
– October 13, 2002
5. “I told him to fix his helmet, which I thought was a pretty good coaching point at the time.”
4. “Some of the greatest minds in college sports have us rated about 75th, so we’re obviously not very good, and we are going to try to build on that as the season goes on.”
3. ”I don’t think so. The people are incredibly similar. They’re very friendly people here. The weather’s nicer here. The mountains are shorter here.”
– On the culture shock of moving to Lubbock after growing up in Wyoming
2. “I expect you to score.”
– To the second string offense, at the half time of the 2003 Iowa State game.
1. “The thing most people don’t understand about Bob is what a great guy he is to work for. Most head coaches love to talk. It’s just their nature. But with him, it’s not like he’s Mr. Chairman of the Board or anything. He’s unique because he’s a listener. He’s interested in what others on the staff have to offer. He taught me that. So I’ll listen — up to a point. But pretty soon, I’ll tell them all to shut up because I like to talk.”
– Quoted by the Austin American Statesmen in the run-up to the 2008 Texas Tech/Oklahoma game