- John Quincy Adams was elected the 6th President of the United States despite losing both the popular and electoral vote. No one won the majority, so the election went to the House of Representatives, where Adams had more friends than his competition.
- Saddam Hussein used Whitney Houston’s “I Will Always Love You” as his campaign song in the 2002 election
- Slavery was nearly abolished in the USA in 1784, but the motion fell short by just one vote
- The women of Utah gained the right to vote 50 years before the U.S. itself, in 1870. But since Utah women voted in ways favorable to end polygamy, the U.S. Congress revoked this right in 1887.
- The office of President of the US can be transferred to the Vice President if a majority of the cabinet votes that the sitting President is incapable of his duties. In theory, the cabinet could peacefully stage a coup and overthrow the president.
Categories: Twisted Thoughts